On this episode of Bilingual Avenue, I interview Ryan Cole. Ryan is an America father living in the Czech Republic where he is raising two bilingual boys together with his Czech wife. He is also the creator of a website application called a Little Lexicon which lets you translate and share your bilingual toddler’s vocabulary with friends and friends.
Episode #47 Quick Guide
On this episode, Ryan discusses with us:
- His bilingual family dynamic;
- His decision to switch to communicating in English with his oldest son and how it influenced his son’s confidence in English;
- His own language journey with Czech,
- Ryan’s reasons for passing English to his two sons;
- How uncomfortable it felt in the beginning to speak a language to his sons that others are not able to speak;
- Ryan’s app, Little Lexicon, a website that lets you translate and share your bilingual toddler’s vocabulary with friends and friends;
- How loved ones can use Little Lexicon;
- The promo code that the Bilingual Avenue community can use to access the website for free. PROMO CODE: bilingualavenue;
- A future product to memorialize your child’s little lexicon with a beautifully designed hard copy so you’ll never forget those early words;
- A proud parenting moment when he saw his oldest son take off with his English once his American family arrived in Prague;
- How his son also picked up some of the cultural nuances from his relatives in just a few days;
Once we hop on the Autobahn at Bilingual Avenue, Ryan shares –
- Favorite resources: Bedtime stories. games that involve language and games on the iPhone;
- Best advice received: Developing a language plan/strategy to understand the work that needs to be done to achieve his family’s language goals;
- What has held her back: Time away from home which decreases the exposure he can provide to his son’s in English;
- Great family habit: Sticking to the One Parent, One Language strategy;
- Resource in English: Shel Silverstein’s poetry and the Original Winnie the Pooh series;
- Best Advice to others: Try to get over the awkwardness of speaking your mother tongue when others around you do not.
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD!
If you found this episode useful, head on over to iTunes and kindly leave us a rating, a review and subscribe!
Ways to subscribe to Bilingual Avenue!