On this episode of Bilingual Avenue, I interview Liza Sánchez, mother to four multilingual daughters and founder of Escuela Bilingüe Internacional (EBI), the first independent school in California to offer Spanish-English dual language programs. EBI is a pre-kinder through 8th grade dual language school with classes in Mandarin starting in the 3rd grade.
Episode #13 Quick Guide
On episode, Liza discusses with us:
- Her fascination with languages and how her family has worked to maintain her three family languages Spanish, German and English;
- How languages are managed in her home: her husband speaks exclusively in Spanish while Liza spoke Spanish to their four daughters at first and then gradually changed to English once they began Kindergarten;
- Her inspiration for founding Escuela Bilingüe Internacional;
- EBI’s language philosophy
- Pre-Kinder: All instructions is conducted in Spanish ;
- Kindergarten through First Grade: One hour of English instruction and the rest of the day is conducted in Spanish;
- Second Grade: Two hours of English instruction and the rest of the day is conducted in Spanish;
- Third Grade: Half of the instruction is English while the other half is in Spanish. Mandarin classes also begin at this time;
- The language expectations based on when they enroll in the school;
- How the school selected Mandarin as the third language and why it is introduced in 3rd grade;
- The acquisition level achieved in Mandarin by the students;
- How parental engagement is managed especially for the parents who do not speak both languages;
- Resources on how to find language schools in your community in the United States.
Summary of Resources Liza provided:
- Center for Applied Linguistics
- National Association of Independent Schools
- Escuela Bilingüe Internacional
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD!
If you found this episode useful, head on over to iTunes and kindly leave us a rating, a review and subscribe!
Ways to subscribe to Bilingual Avenue!