On this episode of Bilingual Avenue, I interview Rita Rosenback, a mother to two multilingual daughters and the author of Bringing up a Bilingual Child. Rita discusses the 7 C’s parents need to navigate on their multilingual journey with their children: Communication, Confidence, Commitment, Consistency, Creativity, Culture and Celebration.
Episode #29 Quick Guide
On this episode, Rita discusses with us:
- Where her passion for multilingualism comes from!
- Her multilingual upbringing and how she passed on this gift to her daughters;
- The strategies she implemented at home and how she adapted them as her situation changed;
- A bad piece of advice she received as a multilingual parent;
- What inspired her to write her book: Bringing Up A Bilingual Child;
- A break down of the 7 C’s discussed in her book –
- Communication is sharing with other role players in your child’s multilingual journey your language goals;
- Confidence is knowing that you can do it;
- Commitment is defining your goals and writing them down in a family language plan;
- Consistency is working hard to stick to the languages you speak to your child especially if you are the parent supporting the minority language;
- Creativity is thinking outside the box to make it fun to learn a new language and find ways to increase exposure to the minority languages;
- Culture is an important component of language and should go hand in hand when possible;
- Celebration is creating a day when you can come together as a family and celebrate your multilingual background.
- Mother Language Day which is held annually on 21 February worldwide to promote awareness of linguistic and cultural diversity and multilingualism;
- Her website multilingualparenting.com and the resources you can find to help you on your language journey;
- How a kitten created the language breakthrough for Rita’s oldest daughter to switch from Finnish to Swedish;
- Some of the circumstances that may come up and challenge our ability to meet our language goals;
- Her advice to parents: If you have an opportunity to raise a bilingual child, do it! Also, create your own perfect, do not feel discouraged if it does not go exactly as you thought!
Contest: This month I am giving away a copy of Rita Rosenback’s book, Bringing Up A Bilingual Child. All you have to do is sign up for the newsletter between now and February 21, 2015! If you are already on the mailing list, you are all set!
Sign up at bilingualavenue.com/newsletter for a chance to win Rita’s book!
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD!
If you found this episode useful, head on over to iTunes and kindly leave us a rating, a review and subscribe!
Ways to subscribe to Bilingual Avenue!