On this episode of Bilingual Avenue, I interview Betty Galvan, a former teacher turned stay-at-home-mom, turned blogger and freelance writer raising three bilingual sons. Betty describes some of the challenges she faces as a second generation Mexican American raising bilingual children while also sharing her proud parenting moments. You can learn more about Betty and her blog at MyFriendBettySays.com
Episode #51 Quick Guide
On this episode, Betty discusses with us:
- Her life passion for languages;
- The love her oldest child is already showing for languages;
- How languages are managed in her home and how she leverages family members to increase the exposure for Spanish;
- How she transitions between English and Spanish when communicating with her children yet how she challenges herself to use more Spanish at home;
- Why she values languages and wants to pass on a passion of languages to her boys;
- How she wants them to identify as Mexican American;
- The Spanish curriculum that her oldest son is currently exposed to at school;
- Some of the push back she is getting from her middle son when asking him to use more Spanish;
- The struggles she faces when incorporating Spanish into her everyday interactions with her children;
- How she promotes reading at home in Spanish and encourages Spanish books;
- How she incorporates Spanish TV and music to infuse more Spanish;
- A funny moment when she is reprimanding her sons in Spanish;
- A proud parenting moment she had when chatting with her son’s Spanish teacher;
- Why it is important for her to expose her children to the diversity around her community;
Once we hop on the Autobahn at Bilingual Avenue, Audrey shares –
- Favorite resources: MommyMaestra.com and SpanglishBaby.com
- Best advice received: Encouragement from the bilingual community overall;
- What has held her back: Being away from other Spanish speaking families and friends;
- Great family habit: The commitment her entire family expresses when they decide to make it a Spanish day;
- Favorite Books: Abuela by Arthur Dorros;
- Best Advice to others: Not to give up!
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD!
If you found this episode useful, head on over to iTunes and kindly leave us a rating, a review and subscribe!
Ways to subscribe to Bilingual Avenue!
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
- Click here to subscribe via RSS