On this episode of Bilingual Avenue, I interview Dr. Laura Markham. Dr. Laura discusses with us how to create more connected relationships with our children, how to foster our children’s creativity, how to encourage reading and more great advice!
Dr. Laura Markham is the author of Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How To Stop Yelling and Start Connecting. Dr. Laura says that earning her PhD in clinical psychology at Columbia University was just the beginning of her education as a psychologist. Becoming a mother, convinced her that parents are doing the hardest job in the world, and need more support. In addition to her active practice working with parents, Dr. Laura edits an extensive website, Aha! Parenting.com, with information for parents of babies through teens.
Episode #57 Quick Guide
On this episode, Dr. Laura discusses with us:
- Her experience as a mother with her two children;
- Her tips on how we can create more connected relationships with our own children;
- How it can be helpful to see things from your child’s point of view;
- The importance of empathizing even if you are not agreeing with your children;
- Why it is important to spend one-on-one time with your child;
- How the routine of daily life can be a powerful connection between children and parents;
- How playing and laughing together can be highly beneficial for a family;
- What it may mean for our children when they cry;
- Why we should foster family rituals and how they can help us move emotionally;
- How happy families develop and celebrate rituals together;
- How we should celebrate our children’s bilingualism;
- How we can communicate better with our children including listening more and asking questions;
- Why it is important for parents to “keep their cool” when their children are opening up about sensitive issues;
- Suggested age-appropriate questions designed by Dr. Laura to use with your children in order to open up the dialogue with your children;
- Her thoughts on how to foster our children’s creativity including encouraging children to think outside the box;
- Positive ways to react to your children’s creative expressions such as art work;
- That the simplest way to create a love for reading is to read to them;
- How limiting technology can also help to encourage your children to read;
- Her advice that our ability to be the parents we want to be depends on our ability to regulate our own emotions.
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD!
If you found this episode useful, head on over to iTunes and kindly leave us a rating, a review and subscribe!
Ways to subscribe to Bilingual Avenue!