On this episode of Bilingual Avenue, I interview Adam Beck, the creator of BilingualMonkeys.com and the Bilingual Zoo. Adam chats with us about his book, Maximize Your Child’s Bilingual Ability.
Adam lives in Hiroshima, Japan with his wife and his two bilingual children who speak Japanese and English.
During our interview, Adam tell us about:
- His personal journey working with multilingual children in the classroom and in his home;
- How his family manages languages and how One Person, One Language has worked for them;
- How he supports his children’s language learning process so that they can attain a high level of ability in English;
- The importance of providing exposure and how challenging it can be to do so in an effective way;
- How language goals vary from family to family and his specific situation;
- The value in assessing our circumstances and making strategic choices, creating habits and routines to raise the odds of success so that we can enable the outcomes we seek on our family’s language journey;
- The importance of gaining greater progress and greater joy when working with our bilingual children;
- HIs book “Maximize your child’s bilingual ability” and its two parts, perspectives (ways of thinking) and principles (ways of doing);
- The importance of setting expectations with our children and the balance we must keep to keep things playful;
- The value of reading to your children and suggestions on how to promote reading in the home;
- His daily homework routine to support his children’s English development;
- The importance of your mindset and thinking of the language journey as a “Day by Day” approach
- and so much more!
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD!
If you found this episode useful, head on over to iTunes and kindly leave us a rating, a review and subscribe!
Ways to subscribe to Bilingual Avenue!